It’s a Knitathon, a la Gilmore Girls or a throw back to your Readathon days in school!
On March 18, 2023, bring your current work, start a new project, or explore a new skill.
Join us to learn more about why the art of knitting is excellent exercise for our brains.
Join us to get your rhythmic hand and mind exercise on that day!
Join us to be inspired to knit more!
With your help we can provide opportunities for those facing stressful situations to learn to knit and build resilience at the same time.
Steps to participate in the Project Knitwell Knitathon
1. Help support our goal of raising $10,000 to provide knitting materials and instruction to more people facing stressful circumstances! You can create a personal fundraising page in Network for Good here. Click Start Fundraising and it will guide you through all the steps.
2. Then share your Network for Good page and encourage your friends to sponsor your Knitathon by donating any amount or $1 for every minute (or row) you knit on March 18. In addition, everyone who raises at least $300 will receive a Project Knitwell t-shirt!
3. Give or receive a minimum donation of $25 to receive a free surprise knitting pattern and a ticket to join Project Knitwell via Zoom on March 18 with our guest speakers, including:
Dr. Mia Hobbs – Host of the Why I Knit Podcast from London, UK
Dr. Kristina LaVenia – CompassionKNIT researcher from Bowling Green, Ohio
Jill Wolcott – a knitwear designer from Seattle, WA
Tanis Gray – Knitwear designer and author from Northern Virginia
Dr. Kelly Holder – Chief Wellness Officer at Brown University Medical School from Providence, RI
…and more virtual sessions with fiber artists and advocates for arts in health.
We guarantee you will leave these sessions inspired to knit more!
5. Join together with other knitters to knit together and motivate each other on March 18. Local Yarn Stores are welcome to host sessions and we will plan a break in our zoom programming from 3–6pm EST. Let us know if you are hosting a get together and we will add it here:
- DMV friends can join Project Knitwell for a meet and greet at Fibre Space, 1310 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA from 4–5pm.